Friday, February 29, 2008

Man Made Islands


Ok I must admit I’ m a bit fascinated by the concept of a man made island. I suppose I can really put this down to as a childhood infatuation. I was a huge enthusiast for geography and loved learning how the world was formed by little micro organism. Being the girl I was and worrying about almost anything, I began to ponder what would happen when all the land was eroded away by water.

Then the solution came to like, Man made islands! So how are they made well its more simple than you think, they simply islands were construct the island using approx 600,000 tons of boulders and 3.2 million cubic yards of sand. The boulders, weighing up to five tons each, rest on the shallow harbor bottom and form a perimeter for each island.

The means of transport to these islands are either marine or air transport which literally may them the reminiscent of a “private island”. The most famous and extravagant man made island is the Palm world or Globe Island off the coast off Dubai. Such famous owners of different countries on the Island include David Beckham. The cost of countries on the Island range from 4million upwards, so you better get saving.

Here's a link to find out More:

PALM WORLD

No comments: